A message for musicians
Table 19 is revving up. We’re starting gigs online next week, and Australian jazz musicians, I want you to be a part of it. It’s a small thing in the scheme of this current scenario, but I figure our purpose is to get music into peoples ears, even if they can’t go to gigs.
The gigs will look like this:
- A bandleader or solo performer provides us with a playlist of 5-10 track. You can do this on our Google form, or elsewhere on this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook, or call Miriam if her number is in your phone.
- To help with revenue for you and your band, ensure the music is available on Bandcamp, because we will actively promote purchase of music and Bandcamp provides a great user experience for purchases as well as having a good payment model for musicians.
- Consider including an unreleased track or two if you wish to promote an as-yet-unreleased recording.
- We purchase quite a bit of music on Bandcamp, but if we don’t already have the music, we may ask you to provide MP3 files – but we will continue to purchase when we can, because we believe in you and we believe in setting an example.
- Once the playlist is finalised, we set up a Skype or Zoom call and we’ll record you introducing the music and the band, in the same way that you would if you were on stage at a venue.
- Once the introductions are recorded, we will quickly edit and splice the gig together and send it live, and we promote the hell out of it to our vast online networks, through as many channels as we can, encouraging listening and purchase.
Table 19 has been a bit quiet due to my personal circumstances, but this is a great opportunity to get it up and running at speed – for your benefit.
The podcast is licensed through APRA AMCOS, so the composers of the music we play will also receive royalties – so let’s get this music into as many ears as we can. Our licence fee goes up with an increase of listeners, and that is a fee increase we would be delighted to pay.
We hope to see a good mix of young bands, established groups, solo artists and across the broad classification of jazz.
Love youse all… please spread around… there’s room for everybody.
If you’ve had to cancel a launch gig that was scheduled to occur in the next couple of weeks, let’s see what we can do to get you an online alternative.